By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:35

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pride in the accomplishment

"I'm going to save $100 dollars and give half of it to organizations" Noelle said in May.  "It will be a lot of work, but you can do it" we encouraged.

Throughout the summer, she has shown perseverance that makes me jealous.  So many times, she would see something and wish she could buy it - but remembering her goal - she would choose to walk away.  It was great watching her learn strategies for self-discipline... "I left my purse at home so that I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything".  She set up a lemonade stand in the neighborhood hoping for just one extra dollar to put toward her goal. 

After chores were paid this weekend, she was very close to her goal.  One more week and she'd be there.  Last night, we realized that she had already set aside some money to donate to several organizations.  Her eyes lit up as I explained that she planned to give each organization money anyway, so using the funds already set aside would all go to the same place.  She scrambled to take the money out of each carefully-labeled ziploc bag... $5 in this one, $2 an some change in another, more pennies and nickels and dimes....

$100 dollars and .28 cents!  "I did it!"

She was so proud to have met this goal, and so excited to make her donations - all before summer was even over.  My girl with her huge and generous heart making an impact on her world!  Thank you, Jesus for teaching her that giving is a gift in itself. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are an amazing gift to your family.